2’s progress after SSS cup success!

Match Report: 04/11/2015DSC_0315

1’s vs Glasgow 1s (A) 1-1

2’s vs St Andrews 3s (H) SSS CUP 4-0

A slow start to the first round of the SSS cup on a very soggy day after a delayed kick-off for Edinburgh 2’s and St. Andrews 3s. From the starting whistle St. Andrews showed their determination to put in a good fight for a win, pressing hard and putting the pressure on Edinburgh straight away. Some uncertain play in the first 20 minutes allowed for some dangerous breaks for both teams however nothing came of these. St. Andrews managed to repeatedly push the ball wide to run the wings however White managed to keep it solid at the back and make sure Edinburgh stopped their play before it became a real threat. With 30 minutes on the clock and still a 0-0 score line both teams knew it was time to step it up and try to get a goal before half time. On the 35 minute mark after some impressive passing from Edinburgh, Urquhart hit a powerful, low strike and the ball glided past the St. Andrews keeper into the bottom right hand corner to allow for the first goal of the match. Edinburgh finally had some breathing space however St. Andrews kept the pressure on with some motivation and encouragement from the side-lines. After a quick turn around the second half got underway. St. Andrews again pressed hard although Edinburgh had seemed to pick things up – a change to the formation settling some nerves on the pitch. Edinburgh kept the majority of the possession with multiple chances on goals however remained unable to score until a mistimed tackle from the St. Andrews defence inside the box allowed for a penalty to be awarded to Edinburgh. Urquhart stepped up to the spot and without any doubt placed the ball confidently into the bottom right hand corner to claim her second goal of the match. St. Andrews had a few breaks in the second half but Edinburgh managed to keep it tight at the back with some confident play from McDonald and Mckay. Edinburgh’s evidently practiced set pieces lead to White(c) bagging Edinburgh’s third goal from a corner, attacking and heading the ball over the keeper into the net. With some impressive linkage play from Gilroy and Urquhart, Urquhart sealed Edinburgh’s 4-0 victory, and her hat trick, by finishing a lovely ball cut back by Gilroy to the edge of the box. St. Andrews never let up on the pressure until the final whistle was blown however, the score line left the Edinburgh side happy and they now move onto the second round of the SSS cup.

The first team, looking to continue their unbeaten run, travelled across the central belt to take on Glasgow University. The first half saw end to end action as both teams battled to get the first breakthrough. Both teams came close however, the defensive set up of both teams proved too strong and as the first forty-five minutes drew to a close the score remained level at 0-0. The second half started off as the first half had ended with play being dominated in the centre of the park. Ten minutes into the second half the home side allowed for the first change to the score line after the Glasgow striker sent a strike flying beyond the outstretched fingers of the Edinburgh keeper into the top right hand corner. After a top class strike to put Glasgow 1-0 up Edinburgh piled on the pressure to get an equaliser. They came close a few times but couldn’t find the back of the net. Glasgow nearly caught the visiting side on a counter attack which would have seen them 2-0 up, however keeper Charlotte Parker-Smith pulled out an unbelievable save to keep Edinburgh in it. It seemed like Edinburgh’s unbeaten run was coming to an end with an opportunity in the last five from Macleod finding the wrong side of the post. However, in the last minute of the game midfielder Courtney Mcavoy found Macleod once more who found space in front of the Glasgow defence, took the ball around the keeper and slotted the ball into the net before being ambushed by her jubilant teammates! The team fought until the end doing the club proud and brought another point back to Edinburgh.

Credit to Jane Marshall for the 2’s match report.