A sterling performance from Edinburgh 1s and 2s

Match report: 21/10/15

1s vs Stirling 1s (H) 0-0

2s vs Stirling 2s (H) 3-0

This week the club played two of its most important games of the season.

Both 2s Vs StirlingEdinburgh1s and 2s took on Stirling 1s and 2s at our home ground of Peffermill. The 2s were first to kick off in the early afternoon and with both teams unbeaten and fighting for the top spot in the BUCS 2A league there was a lot at stake. Edinburgh put the pressure on Stirling early, winning crucial battles in the midfield and they were rewarded for their efforts when Katie Cleland found space on the outside of the box and smashed the ball home to put the Edinburgh side 1-0 up. Not long after, another moment of footballing brilliance occurred and this time it was Carolina Sousa E Sa’s turn to show off. Her strike from 20 yards out left the Stirling keeper helpless and put the home side 2-0 up. Ten minutes later at the other end of the field drama unfolded as a defensive error by Edinburgh allowed for Stirling to slip the ball into the net but the goal was called offside, much to the anger of the travelling support. As the second half continued Edinburgh had chance after chance but struggled to find the back of the next until an excellently weighted ball from Amy Gilroy landed at the feet of Sousa who found the back of the net to get her second of the game. As the game ended, the crowd who had come down to support cheered the team off the park after a great performance all round. Another three points for the 2’s, unbeaten and top of the league…you guys! Later in the evening under the floodlights at the Peffermill stadium Edinburgh 1s faced off against Stirling 1s. Again, as both teams remained unbeaten, tensions were high. Stirling got off to a great start hitting the post within the first 2 minutes of the game after some shaky initial play from the home side. However, as the game progressed it was clear that both teams were an equal match for each other. Most of the first half was played in the midfield area with few chances on goal and as the team prepared for the start of the second half the score remained 0-0. Twenty minutes into the second half saw Stirling rattle the cross bar but Parker-Smith comfortably collected the rebound. It seemed Stirling had left their luck across the bridge as minutes later a shot from their striker hit the underside of the cross bar and was subsequently cleared off the line by Edinburgh’s Lucy Stanton. In the dying moments of the game Edinburgh called for a penalty after an incident in the box but nothing was awarded and the game ended goalless. Edinburgh 1s will face Stirling 1s again next semester which now looks set to be an all or nothing match. Next week all three Edinburgh sides pack their bags and board buses out of the city to face RGU, Glasgow Cali and Dundee. Here’s hoping they bring back nine points!