First XI Reach Final Emphatically!

The Uni quickly bounced back from Saturday’s disappointment, starting brightly, pressing high and looking to attain an early advantage. The first real chance of the game fell to Paterson, who struck his shot sweetly however he saw it cannon back of the inside of the post and safely into the ‘keepers grasp.

Further chances came and went, however in the 25′ EUAFC drew first blood. Good interplay on the left from Guthrie and Paterson created space for Oswald on the inside right, and he made no mistake. Touching the ball into space in front of him, Oswald drilled home across the keeper from 15 yards. 1-0

The Uni didn’t have to wait much longer for a second. Skilful play from Guthrie on the left drew a foul, and Paterson whipped a brilliant free kick onto the on-rushing Ward, who happily gobbled up the chance and headed home. 2-0.

Strathclyde finally got into their stride, with Asher Tufail blocking Shearer’s fierce shot well, and Longcake also threatening from range.

Oswald and Guthrie then had further chances to finish the tie, and the half ended with Edinburgh comfortably on top and looking like adding to their advantage.

HT Edinburgh Uni 2-0

The second half started exactly as the first ended, with Edinburgh looking like increasing their lead. And they didn’t have to wait long. Paterson was hacked down on the right, and Sutherland whipped a dangerous free-kick into the Strathclyde box, only for a defender to flick it over his helpless keeper and into the corner of his own net. 3-0.

Edinburgh continued to dominate the ball, keeping possession well on a slick passing surface. Strathclyde tried to press the game higher in search of a goal, however the midfield three of Ward, Mair and Maelgar looked confident in possession and controlled the game.

in the 65’ Ward added his second of the game to cap a man of the match performance. 20 yards from goal, and slightly to the left of the area, Ward clipped a delicious free kick over the wall and curled it into the top left corner of the net. 4-0

The Uni continued to search for more goals. Ward missed a glorious chance for his hat-trick, Aitken shot wide, and Mair, on debut, had a curling shot brilliantly saved by the Strathclyde keeper.

As the game threatened to fizzle out, Evans smashed a cross across the box, only for it to dip late and drop over the keeper into the far corner of the net. 5-0.

The referee then drew the game to a close, in what was possibly EUAFC’s most complete performance of the season.

Final Score

Edinburgh Uni AFC 5-0 Strathclyde 0

EUAFC Coach Tom Archer was particularly pleased with the Uni’s performance.

‘It was a dominant display, possibly our most complete of the season so far. I was particularly impressed with the amount of chances we created, and how well we kept possession the ball. We need to take the confidence, and momentum generated from today’s performance into another tough game against Threave on Sunday in order to consolidate our position in the Lowland League’

MoM – Dan Ward
The best performance of the season so far from the midfielder, his excellent work-rate and skill capped by two superbly taken goals. Only disappointment was his air-kick for the hat-trick!