1s take 4 points after crazy game against Vale and draw at Whitehill

Last week saw the 1st team playing two big games in the Lowland League, with a midweek fixture at home to Vale of Leithen and a return to Ferguson Park against Whitehill Welfare.

EUAFC 4-3 Vale of Leithen (SLFL) 2/10/18

The 1s returned to Lowland League action with a midweek fixture against Vale of Leithen as they were eager to get more points on the board.

The Uni were on the front foot right from the first whistle, as they pressed the visitors high up the park and looked eager to get the opening goal. Abdul Yusuf came close ten minutes in as he blazed the ball over from 6 yards out after a cut back from Patrick Baird.

It would be ‘Paddy’ however that would get the 1s off to flying start after a great team goal. Robbie Sinclair made a great switch of play to Max Condie on the left, who took a touch and swung the ball to the back post. Baird ran into the space and threw himself to the ball, poking it into the near post and giving the boys the lead.

Baird was at it again, this time being a solo effort. Taking the ball from the half-way line, Paddy made a dangerous run towards the left side of the goal before cutting back inside to slide the ball past the Vale keeper to make it 2-0 to the Uni at half time.


The second half proved to be a mad one, with goals flying left, right and centre.

It all started with Vale getting a goal back after ten minutes gone, as they played a ball over the top of the Uni defence as their striker ran onto it and poked the ball past the advancing Callum Davison and into the net.

Not long afterwards and the visitors got back on level terms. Vale won a throw-in deep into the Uni half as the resulting throw caused chaos in the box. It was a game of pinball as Uni couldn’t seem to clear their lines before Vale composed themselves and slotted the ball into the corner to make 2-2.

With 15 minutes left to play, Vale looked to have found a winner and remarkable turnaround when they were given a penalty from a Greg Swan handball. The Vale penalty taker fired straight down the middle as Davison dived to his left to put the visitors into the lead.

However, the Uni were not down and out just yet as they immediately tried to get back into the game. And with 8 minutes to go, Abdul Yusuf was fouled in the box as the referee pointed to the spot. Finn Daniels-Yeomans took on the pressure from the spot and placed the ball to the left corner despite the Vale keeper getting a hand to it.

As the game looked to be heading for a draw, Santeri Kuivalainen made a bursting last minute into the Vale half as the ball was played through to him. He reached the side of the box before crossing the ball into the box, which fell to Yusuf despite the ball being initially blocked by the Vale defender. Yusuf composed himself before striking low into the corner, giving the Uni a much needed win and completing a crazy half of football!

Full-time: 4-3

A game full of ups and downs but the 1s never gave up and clinched 3 vital points to lift them up the table.

Line Up – Callum Davison, Luke Murray, Stuart MacFarlane, Greg Swan, Max Condie (Fraser Thomson), Finn Daniels-Yeomans, Robbie Sinclair, Ross Watters (Aidan Kemp), Patrick Baird, Santeri Kuivalainen, Abdul Yusuf

Subs not used – Ross McGuire, James Conington

Goal Scorers – Patrick Baird (2), Finn Daniels-Yeomans, Abdul Yusuf

Whitehill Welfare 1-1 EUAFC (SLFL) 6/10/18

The Uni returned to Ferguson Park hoping to get a result after the Scottish Cup exit at the same ground two weeks before.

The first half was closely matched between both sides, with the best chance coming from the home side after a low driven shot from 20 yards was pushed wide by Callum Davison. Both teams defences stayed strong throughout the half as it was all left to play for in the second half.

Half-time: 0-0

Uni controlled the opening ten minutes of the second half and were soon rewarded with a goal. Santeri Kuivalainen managed to cut the ball back to Aidan Kemp in the box who then somewhat sliced his effort at goal, deceiving the Whitehill goalkeeper as the ball trundled over the line into the net.

Whitehill responded quickly and got a goal of their own minutes later. As they attacked along the Uni’s left hand side, the ball broke for Whitehill to whip in a cross into the box. The cross was pitch perfect as it met the home strikers head to finish low past Davison.

Both sides came close to adding another goal, with Whitehill brushing the bar with a speculative effort on the angle and Kemp coming close from range with a shot from 25 yards out. In the end, neither side could find an winner as the Uni take home a point.

Full-time: 1-1

Line Up – Callum Davison, Luke Murray, Stuart MacFarlane, Greg Swan, Fraser Thomson (Ross McGuire), Finn Daniels-Yeomans, Robbie Sinclair, Ross Watters (Aidan Kemp), Stuart McNicholas, Santeri Kuivalainen, Abdul Yusuf (David Smith)

Goal Scorers – Aidan Kemp