“2’s Don’t Lose”

The games keep coming thick and fast. Wednesday’s BUCS encounter was a difficult away trip to Dundee to play the home university’s firsts. Short and sharp report. The game ended in a 3-3 draw with mistakes seemingly being the watch word of the day. Both teams had chances to win the game in the final minutes. Scorers; own goal, Phil Mcnicholas and Vince Coleman with a rasping free kick. With it being difficult to raise teams for long away trips this can be considered a point gained. The team that gets promoted from this BUCS league will win their home games and pick up odd points away from home.

Saturday saw the 2s play Pathhead in the Miller cup. The game started with the dull, windless conditions being perfect for football. The initial concern that the 2s would underestimate their opponents proved unfounded as early exchanges down the left saw Andy Findlay getting to the bye line on more than one occasion though his final passes did not quite make their targets. Pathhead were well in the game during the early exchanges and looked threatening. However the first goal was not long in coming with Phil Mcnicholas counting. Chasing a long ball, he nicked it past the away goalkeeper as he advanced off his line. Around the 25 minute mark the Uni. went 2-0 up. Harald Buchardt had his feet taken from under him in the act of shooting and with the minimum of fuss Andy Thomson converted the resultant penalty. The first half ended with the Uni. counting 3 as Andy Findlay finished neatly across the goalkeeper.

Phil Mcnicholas’s second goal at the start of the 2nd half saw the Uni. take a 4-0 lead. Game over? Not a bit of it as Pathead got the bit between their teeth scoring after a spell when they had the 2s on the back foot. Jan Seiler however showed what a good goalkeeper he has become clawing away a net bound effort high to his right then doing similarly with an effort low to his left. Things got interesting as Pathead were then awarded a penalty. Jan was not to be undone however as he saved the spot kick low to his left. The game then returned to a period of sanity before any Findlay added his second, this time finishing at the near post. With 15 minutes to go the Uni. had committed all their substitutes and the fresh legs had the away defence under pressure. Several good chances came and went but overall the 5-1 final score reflected the balance of play. 2 tough games this week; Glasgow Uni. 2s away on Wednesday and current premier 1 high fliers Tollcross Thistle at home in the East of Scotland cup on Saturday.