2s pluck victory over Harps on penalties











Ross Roger reports on the 2s first game of the season as they faced Edinburgh Harps in the Logan Cup.

Edinburgh Harps 2-2 EUAFC (EUAFC win 5-4 on pens) (Logan Cup) – 25/8/18

Edinburgh University 2s got their season started this weekend with an away Logan Cup match against Edinburgh Harps. The Uni travelled to The Royal HS with 12 men given our intake of new faces will not begin until mid-September.

However, of the 12 man squad the majority had participated in some kind of pre-season, which allowed them to make a strong start to the game, demanding the ball and retaining high possession of the ball. Despite this, the 2s found themselves 1-0 down mid-way through the first half, a lapse in concentration allowed Harps to attack the central defence and create a 1v1 with the GK. Despite a strong hand from Ross Roger in goals the ball trickled over the line, perhaps against the run of play.

Following the goal, the 2s maintained their standard of play, playing out from the back, and moving the ball around the midfield, but it was the final pass in the final third which eluded the frontmen until the stroke of half time. The ball broke out to the left and a cut back from Logan Sirel found Ross Watters in the middle, he calmly stroked the ball into the bottom right corner.


Half Time, 1-1.


The second half saw Harps grow a little into the game, perhaps some tired legs from the uni boys beginning to show. Harps were soon rewarded for their efforts as some sustained pressure in the 18 yard box, saw Rob McLean handle the ball to give the home side a penalty kick. This was calmly despatched into the top of the goal, no chance for the keeper. 2-1 Harps.

With plenty time still remaining in the game, EUAFC regained some of their first half form, knocking the ball from side to side earning endless corners. However, Harps defence stood firm, it seemed like the uni would never find an equaliser. As the game progressed into stoppage time, there was one last roll of the dice, a corner from the left side, whipped in by Louis Maurice, fell to Callum Dely, who poked the ball home.


Scenes, full time 2-2.


The game went straight to penalties, Harps were up first. All of the first 8 penalties were scored with no real difficulty. Harps final penalty was blazed over the bar, leaving Euan Lannon the opportunity to hand EUAFC 2s victory. He stepped up, sent the keeper the wrong way and saw the ball hit the back of the net.

EUAFC 2s progress to the second round of the Logan Cup.

Line Up – Ross Roger, Craig McMillan, Rob McLean, Sean Brennan, Logan Sirel, Angus Pinkney (Euan Lannon), Louis Maurice, Liam Matthew, Ross Watters, Joe Hersee, Callum Dely.

Goal Scorers – Ross Watters, Callum Dely.