EUAFC March into BUCS trophy semi finals

On Wednesday the 26th of February Edinburgh University Men’s Football team beat Liverpool John Moore University 4-0 in the quarterfinals of the BUCS Trophy extend their unbeaten run to 14 matches. It was a sunny day in Liverpool with a firm breeze running the length of the slightly muddy pitch. Edinburgh Uni, playing with the wind first half, dominated possession during the opening 15 minutes but despite a few promising moves struggled to create any clear-cut chances. Against the run of play, the first chance of note fell to Liverpool but an excellent save from Edinburgh shot stopper Mark Tait kept the game level. Edinburgh should have taken the lead when the tenacious Kohei Habata did well to keep the ball in play before crossing to Calum Murray who somehow managed to blaze over the open net. Edinburgh’s pressure finally paid off just before half time when Paul Sutherland scored a slightly fortuitous goal when his 40-yard free kick curled over the helpless Liverpool goalkeeper. Edinburgh led 1-0 at the break. Liverpool dominated the opening 10 minutes of the second half and had series of long-range shots but Mark Tait was more than equal to them and pulled of a number of acrobatic saves. Edinburgh should have had a penalty when Kohei Habata wriggled away from two Liverpool defenders before being scythed down in the box only for the referee to inexplicably wave play on. With just over half an hour still to play Edinburgh made a double substitution as Aaron Hodgson and Jack Guthrie came on and both players made an instant impact. Just a few minutes after coming on Jack Guthrie took on his man before being bundled over in the box. This time the referee did blow for a spot kick and Aaron Hodgson coolly converted the penalty. It was 3-0 not long after when Kohei Habata went on another trademark mazy dribble down the left flank, beating two Liverpool defenders before squaring to Jack Guthrie to stroke the ball home. From this point Edinburgh rarely looked like conceding a goal as they marshalled the Liverpool attackers with relative ease as the ever-consistent centre back pairing of Duncan Black and Hamish Flett continued their commanding performances. The icing on the cake came when Aaron Hodgson scored a spectacular 4th goal as Edinburgh showed their potency on the counter attack. The ball was cleared from the Edinburgh box when Finn Daniels found Jack Guthrie out wide following a Liverpool corner. He took the ball on the turn and played an excellent curling pass over the top to Aaron Hodgson who lobbed the goalkeeper from thirty yards with an audacious left footed shot. Edinburgh University closed the game out comfortably and will now play Leeds Metropolitan University on the 12th of March at Peffermill in the semi-final.