1. Please tell us the degree(s) you studied and result(s) achieved?
• September 2005 – May 2009: Bachelor of Law with Honours Law (2:1)
• September 2009 – May 2010: Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice and Skills
2. Please list all your achievements with the EUAFC (trophies won, goals scored, league positions, international caps, individual awards, Blues etc)?
• EUAFC Club Captain (2008/2009)
• EUAFC 1st XI player (2005 – 2009)
• 94 appearances, 21 goals (1st XI)
• Played in the team which reached the 3rd round of the Scottish Cup for the first time in the University’s history (2006)
• Played in the team which won the King Cup for the first time in 33 years (2007)
• Played in the team which finished runners up in the East of Scotland Premier league (2007/2008)
• Scottish Universities Select Squad (2008/2009)
• Awarded Colours (2009)
• EUAFC Match Secretary (2007/2008)
3. Why did you choose to study at Edinburgh University?
• I chose to study at Edinburgh University based primarily on two factors: (1) its reputation as a very good university at which to study law; and (2) I had visited Edinburgh several times previously and thought it was a great city.
4. What part did the EUAFC play in your experience of University?
• EUAFC was integral to my university experience and greatly enhanced my time in Edinburgh. A large number of my best memories from university stem from my involvement with EUAFC.
5. Why did you enjoy playing football for EUAFC?
There are many reasons why I enjoyed my time at EUAFC, but, in particular, I would mention:
• I met a lot of good friends at EUAFC, many of which I keep in regular contact with now.
• EUAFC enabled me to train and play football at a competitive level in a professional environment.
• EUAFC provided an opportunity to play football with other players (and be coached by managers and coaches) who were ambitious and willing to put in the effort to be the best team possible and improve personally.
• The social element of EUAFC was a highlight of my university experience (including annual club tours!).
6. What enabled you to be successful on the pitch & at the same time academically? Was there any effect on your studies?
• It is undoubtedly necessary to find the right balance between EUAFC and academic studies. However, I found that effective time management and organisation enabled me to be fully committed to EUAFC and my studies – this enabled me to benefit as much as possible from the university experience as a whole.
• My studies were not adversely affected because of my involvement with EUAFC. During my year as Club Captain there was certainly more pressure to manage my time and prioritise effectively, but this did not affect my studies and was a valuable learning experience.
7. Would you consider your time at University a success, why?
• Yes – I had a brilliant five years at university, made some great friends, got a good degree and obtained a job at the end of it. As mentioned above, EUAFC greatly enhanced my university experience and, in my opinion, the skills developed at EUAFC helped me to get a traineeship with a law firm at the end of it.
8. What are you doing currently? Did you develop any skills while at the EUAFC that have an impact on your working life?
• I have just qualified as a solicitor and work for a corporate law firm based in Edinburgh and London.
• The skills developed at EUAFC have undoubtedly assisted with my working life and have done so in a variety of ways. A significant number of the skills required to be successful at EUAFC are equally as important in the working environment. For example, there are the obvious skills required to be successful on the pitch – commitment, hard work and teamwork, but there also less obvious skills which are required to be successful at EUAFC which are relevant in a professional environment – being organised, communicating with others and being adaptable.
• EUAFC also enables players to take on additional responsibility by becoming part of the Players’ Committee. Being Club Captain was one of the most challenging things that I have done but also one of the most rewarding.
9. Why would you recommend joining EUAFC to new students?
• I would certainly recommend joining EUAFC to new students. EUAFC provides an opportunity to be part of a great club, play football at a good standard in a very professional environment and, most importantly, make great friends and have fun!
10. We know you have a strong bond with the Football Club. Please finish the sentence/paragraph in any way that suits you;
• EUAFC is a great club that I am proud to have been part of. There is no doubt that EUAFC greatly enhanced my university experience.